|Venue : The Tipperary, 66 Fleet Street, City of London. EC4Y 1HT|
|Reviewed : December 2008||Telephone : 020 7606 3828|
Brewery : Greene King
|Pub Website :|
|Facilities : ~|
Fleet Street has some of the finest City pubs remaining and you will not be disappointed with the Tipperary. Close to the junction of Whitefriars Street and Fleet Street the site of The Tipperary dates back to fifteen century, when it was known as Bolt-in-Tun, it was mentioned in a Roll of Henry VI in 1443 as 'Hospitium vocatum le Boltenton', and in a list of buildings surrendered to Henry VIII in 1538 as 'a tenement of brewing called "Le Bolte and Tunne"'. Its sign, a play on the name Bolton, showed a tun or barrel pierced by a bolt, the missile used by crossbowmen. A stone representation of it lies in the church of St Bartholomew-the-Great in West Smithfield; part of a window in memory of Bolton, last prior in the direct line, who died in 1532.
It was the fist pub to sell Guinness outside Ireland and was rename The Tipperary from The Boar's Head during the First World War when Irish soldiers enjoyed the only Irish pub in London. It has in recent years been re-fronted and refurbished, but still keeps the charm and beautly of a traditional Irish pub.